Weirdways: Low Road Trip across the Weird States
There are two kinds of people out on these roads. There are those going somewhere, and those who have somewhere to go. The latter category don't belong to these roads. They drive 'em, sure but they always have a home somewhere to settle down.
Now the former category, they belong to these roads. They are going somewhere... they just ain't always sure where. Most folks go back to their home for the night once the day's business is done, these folks return to the roads. "Somewhere" for them is always a place just ahead, just one more stop, just one more thing to see, just one more place to go, but they never quite find what they're lookin' for.
These roads are full of beautiful, broken people lookin' for a home this world can't provide.
Wander on, my son. Wander on.
Modern Fantasy Roadcrawl with a Weird, Haunted Americana feel. Fantasy races walk alongside regular human beings and magic is very much real. It's gonna be goofy, spooky, and a little bit soul-searching. Inspired by Evlyn Moreau.
Some big things:
- You are poor. For whatever reason, you have next to no money.
- You have somewhere to go. What brings you to drive these Weirdways with these people?
- You and your party are all driving together in a van like a hippie van or maybe one with a cool wizard on the side? Whatever it is, it's spacious enough for you all to sleep in and it's your only way you are going to make this trip.
- Snake eyes (Double 1s) are always a failure and something bad happens.
- 6 or less: Failure and something bad happens.
- 7-9: You succeed but at some cost or must make a hard choice.
- 10+: You succeed with no drawbacks!
- Double 6s is always a maximum success with flair!
- What are two locations you desperately want to go or things you need to do on the road?
- What's different about you? Why don't you fit in?
- Are you a fantasy creature? If so, what kind?
- Why do you have no money? Ex: general poverty, theft, cut-off by parents, etc...
- Who is someone you know who you might meet on the road?
- Who, if anyone, owns the van? Who drives?
- Why are your characters traveling together?
- One of you has an aunt in the midwest who has told you that her house is haunted and she needs help. Which one of you is it? Why is she calling you?
- One of you is dead set on going to Burning Man. Which one of you is it?
- State your general character concept (examples below). This is your first Aspect.
- What's something weird but cool about you? This is your second Aspect.
- What's a fictional or historical person kind of like you? "Kind of like ______" is your third Aspect. (If your character is combat-focused, are they more like Jackie Chan or more like John Wick or someone else? If your character is magical, are they more Gandalf or Harry Dresden or someone else?)
- Pick up two important items that your character needs: Guns, wands, spell books, ect...)
- Make sure you answer the questions above. Pick a name. That's about it.
- Saucerfreak Cleric
- Halfling Sightseer
- Hippie Shaman
- Dwarf Trucker
- Elf Hipster
- Hobo Wizard
- Jesus-freak Cleric
- Goblin Drugdealer (Alchemist)
- Rocker Bard
- Ultrafan Cleric/Warlock
- Nerd Wizard
- Dwarf Biker
- Collector Thief
- Orc Travel-writer
- Bounty Hunter Fighter
- Repo Thief
- Halfling Flavor Chaser (Guy Fieri)
- Elf Activist
- Veteran Fighter
- Karen Barbarian