Grot and Grime: Rules and Character Creation
In dark places deep beneath the earth where lie the rotting corpses of civilizations past...
In the cursed city of Moldberg, moldering in time, twisted by fell things from beyond the stars...
In the Gnarlwood, where trees wrinkle and gnarl with age, and bright yellow eyes flit between the bent bows...
In the towers of long-dead wizards where demonic chittering is heard, unseen among yellowing tomes and jars of writhing things...
In the depths of the sewers where bronze lion faces spout filth and the discarded wretches of humanity moan and wail...
...there is only GROT AND GRIME!
Art Commissioned from Zeph Siebler
Roll high on a d20, adding an appropriate attribute as determined by your GM.
DC: 10 for easy checks. DC: 15 for middling checks. DC: 20 for very difficult tasks.
The same is true for attacking enemies: DC: 10 for minor mooks, DC: 15 for trolls and larger enemies, DC: 20 for Dragons and Greater Villains.
Gain a Random Background and its starting items.
Roll 1d6-2 for each of the following attributes:
Strength: Physical power, attacking with force, kicking down doors
Constitution: Hardiness, physical defense, toughness, resisting poison
Dexterity: Manual dexterity, agility, speed, hand-eye coordination
Intelligence: Brains, wits, knowledge, arcana
Personality: Charisma, willpower, attractiveness
Oddities and Weirdness:
For every attribute that is 0 or -1, roll once on the Oddities and Weirdness Table below, rerolling any repeats. You may also set one of your stats to -1 if you want to roll on the chart but have all positive scores.
1d10 Oddities and Weirdness:
- A demon familiar has chosen you in much the same way cats choose their humans. It doesn't really serve you but might be persuaded to help. (Gain a Random Demon Familiar)
- You found an old book full of arcane secrets in a forgotten place. (Gain a Random Grimoire)
- Strange radiation or a witch's curse has transformed you. (Gain a Good Mutation. Roll 1d30 on the list)
- You have discovered a strange bobble in some old tomb. (Gain a Random Minor Magic Item)
- An ancient warrior's bones clutched this weapon tightly even in death. (Gain a Random Minor Magical Weapon.)
- Wizard or not, you have somehow gained a Wizard Gimmick! (Gain a Random Wizard Gimmick)
- You are one of the subhuman races which dwell in Moldburg. (Roll for or pick a Subhuman Race)
- The ways of the elves of old, fair and bright, have long survived their civilization. (Gain a Random Elf Trick.)
- You learned a trick from the village Wise Woman. (Gain a Random Mundane Magic)
- You trained with some priests for a while. (Gain a Random Divine Mundanity)
- Shield (Negate 1 Attack per day. Takes an Arm)
- Light (Negate 1 Attack per Day. 1 Slot)
- Heavy (Negate 2 Attacks per day. 2 Slots. Disadvantage on Spell and Stealth checks.)